Mould allergy recommendations
People often speak of allergy to moisture to refer to what is actually mould allergy.
Tips for reducing exposure to moulds are divided into outdoor and indoor exposure:
Outside the house, an allergic person to moulds should try to avoid:
- Being in contact with dead or decaying vegetation and infected places: basements, cellars, barns, compost piles, woodsheds and dark humid and wet areas.
- Blowing leaves that fall on the ground during autumn.
- Handling any kind of grain or entering buildings where grain, vegetables and food in general is stored.
- Walking on sunny and windy days in rural areas, especially in the harvest season.
- Having dense vegetation close to your home.
Inside the house you should:
- Keep bath and shower surfaces, screens, curtains, rugs, towels dry.
- Do not use sponges.
- Do not keep wet clothing or shoes in closets or poorly ventilated areas.
- Give preference to synthetic over cotton or other textile fibers in carpets and curtains.
- Avoid formation of stains on walls or windows.
- Use antifungal spray paint or fungicide if an area is prone to damp.
- Do not leave food out of the fridge for long.
- Remove rubbish bags daily.
- If you have indoor plants, ensure good leaves and soil, making sure there are no signs of putrefaction or fungal contamination.
- Avoid the presence and accumulation of dust in the house.
- Vacuum the bedroom daily.
- Bright and sunny rooms are preferred. Repair leaks and remove water stains.
- There are anti-mould paints to prevent the growth of fungi.
- Areas most frequently wet such as bathtubs, sinks and bathroom tiles should be cleaned regularly with bleach. When the house is cleaned, ventilate and dry the areas that have become wet.
- In the patient’s home it is advisable to maintain a relative humidity below 60%, avoiding the use of environmental humidifiers.
- Use dehumidifiers if necessary but with close monitoring of the device to prevent contamination.
If air conditioning is used, clean it frequently and regularly change the water filter.